Frequently asked questions
Can I do yoga movement therapy?
Yoga is an all-inclusive modality. If you can breathe, you can do yoga! Erica has worked with babies, professional athletes, new mothers, chair-bound elderly patients, and everyone in between. Yoga movement therapy is designed to meet you exactly as you are. Good news, you don't have to "get in shape" before you start! If you are dedicated to making a change in your life, then you have the capability to do yoga movement therapy. Let's get started!
But, what if I have a serious condition or injury?
You still can do yoga, but make sure you consult with your doctor first! With your permission, Erica designs your personal plan by working hand-in-hand with your healthcare provider to determine what will benefit you most. Below is a list of a few conditions Erica is specifically trained to work with. This list is not exhaustive; so if you don't see what you have, don't give up. Contact Erica!
- Headaches and Migraines
- Difficulty Getting Pregnant
- Joint Pain
- Degenerative Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal Fusion
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Athletic Performance Improvement
- Back Pain (low, mid, and upper)
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Chronic Inflammation
- Bulging/Herniated Discs
- Sacroiliac (SI) Pain
- Joint Replacements
- Torn Rotator Cuff
- Hip Instability
- Hip Dysplasia
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Labral Tears
How does in-home therapy work?
In-home private sessions are what set Integrative Yoga & Wellness apart from other yoga classes, private or group. Think about this, Erica works around your schedule, you never have to leave your house (no traffic and no travel time!), and you are comfortable in your own space. All you need to do is:
- Set a time with Erica that works for you. If paying by card, payment is required before the appointment is booked. If paying by cash, payment is required at the start of the session, so please have that ready.
- Clear a space in your home that is big enough for about two yoga mats (approximately 4 feet by 6 feet).
- Make sure you are home about 15 minutes before the appointment time and dressed in clothes that you are comfortable moving around in.
- Answer the door when Erica comes knocking. She will bring all the supplies, unless you have personal yoga props you would like to use, so give her some time to get set up.
- Once setup is complete, you will begin your session with Erica. This will usually last about an hour.
- After the session is complete, Erica will pack up all of the supplies and she will leave. You will be provided with a 10-15 minute at-home program that you will follow daily.
Why do I have to do an initial evaluation before yoga movement therapy?
It’s really quite simple. Would you want your physical therapist to give you an exercise plan without speaking to you about your goals, or knowing what you can and cannot do, or getting to know you on an individual basis? I’m going to guess your answer is “No!” Yoga movement therapy follows this same concept. We want to meet with you to talk about what is going on in your body, test how your body reacts to specific movements, assess what you need on an individual basis, and make sure that we are a good fit for each other. No two plans are alike because no two people are exactly alike! At the end of your initial evaluation, you will have a chance to ask questions and decide if you would like to continue with the service. Are you ready to get started?
What if I don’t like any of the memberships or plan options?
That’s ok! Our packages, memberships, and plans are just common choices clients make. BUT everyone is different! We can easily mix and match options to get you exactly what you want. Just ask!
Do you provide “regular” yoga classes?
Short answer: Yes! Long answer: Erica is trained in Vinyasa and Ashtanga Flow style classes. Therefore, she can provide you with a “regular” flow style class in your home that is not exclusively therapeutic in nature. You could even host a group class for you and your friends if you would like! For pricing please contact Erica.
Why are there yoga packages and yoga + wellness packages?
At Integrative Yoga & Wellness, we want to help you in whatever way we can. Therefore, we offer a wide range of services to our clients. One option is to stick with only yoga movement therapy where we develop a 10-15 minute plan that you complete daily to refine and align the body to find enhanced function. If you want more, we have developed wellness packages just for you. Erica will work with you to find the perfect balance between yoga movement therapy, workouts, and nutrition to get you exactly where you want to go. We can even help you train for specific goals or races that you have in your future! Get started today...you won’t regret it.
What are Nutritional Coaching and Meal Planning?
There are so many ideas, studies, and methods out there about what you should and shouldn’t eat. Nutrition can be so confusing! We’re here to help. Two of our wellness plans provide nutritional coaching and one goes a step further to also provide meal planning.
- Nutritional Coaching: Erica will sit down with you and chat about your current eating/drinking habits, what you like to eat, weight goals, and determine how much you are willing to change. With that information, she will develop a list of foods that you should try to incorporate into your diet on a regular basis, a list of foods that you should avoid, vitamins and supplements you can consider taking, and various recipes for each mealtime to try. Erica believes that many of the popular diet methods are restrictive and encourage poor dieting habits that can negatively impact your body’s ability to thrive. Her approach is a gradual lifestyle change that can lead to major improvements in how you feel on a daily basis.
- Meal Planning: Taking nutritional coaching to the highest tier, meal planning provides a service that usually costs hundreds of dollars on its own. Erica will take her nutritional coaching and develop a daily meal plan that aligns with your wants and needs on an individual level. This takes the guesswork and planning off of your plate completely! You will get shopping lists, recipes, and serving sizes that are all catered to you. It’s up to you to take the next step in your wellness today!